Today is International Day of Happiness. I had no idea that such a day existed but when we have days like National Go Barefoot Day (June 1) and National Carrot Cake Day (February 3), it makes sense we should have a day for happiness, too.
When we have a hard day at work or are stressed out about things, it’s easy to be unhappy and think that everything is going wrong. I know I am completely guilty of this. It’s all about attitude and how you approach your day. And also seeing the little things, in the midst of the other junk that goes on during your day, that make you happy.
Here is a (short) list of the things that make me happy:
- Pippa and Maggie greeting me when I visit my parents
- Flannel sheets in winter
- Good previews before a movie (the previews before Beauty and the Beast were awful!)
- Dole Whips from Disneyland
- Shoes that don’t give me blisters (I have very sensitive feet)
- A new episode of my favorite show
- Sky-blue pink sunsets
- Cracking the spine of a new book
- Remembering to charge my phone at night
- Getting snail mail (bills don’t count)
- Finding a hair salon that actually knows how to cut my bangs
- Sleeping in until my alarm (this is rare)
- When my commute is less than 35 minutes
- Being done with a workout
- Pizza (I’d be happy only eating pizza for the rest of my life)
- The smell of rain
- Happy hour with friends that lasts way longer than an hour
- Christmas lights
- Fresh flowers
- A row all to myself on a plane
What things make you happy?